What could make rich and fudgy brownies better? A layer of salted caramel of course! These Salted Caramel Brownies are the stuff of dreams and will disappear in minutes!
Hello there, how are you all?!
Sorry for being MIA. I started up with a new job last week and although I’ve worked hard since I was 13, it’s a different type of work and the tiredness hit me like a tonne of bricks!
Still to do with baking, so my entire life is dedicated to baking and food photography haha, but it involves me actually leaving the house… which has been easier than I thought actually and good for me. I felt like I was spending too much time home alone; I’ve been riding this roller coaster of depression for months. I just about come out of it, but it feels like I could so easily fall back in, I’m hoping that by having more to do and keeping busy, I’ll have less time to sit at home and think about everything that has happened this year.
I know I’m lucky and I often think about how hard other people have it and how I have nothing to complain about, but depression doesn’t discriminate and sometimes I’m in this incredibly dark place and can’t pull myself out of it. Then I feel guilty for feeling bad as I know I’m so lucky… but there isn’t much I can do when the dark cloud descends. I try and stay healthy and exercise as it’s meant to help, but it’s definitely something I still struggle with.
My fiancé has been supportive. Although he’d rather I just stay home. He says I don’t need to work at all, but I could not just sit at home twiddling my thumbs. I’m not that kind of person, I need to be doing something. Be that blogging, photography, baking… I have to be busy. And I like to have some spending money so I don’t have to just ask him to buy me stuff all the time. (I don’t do that, but if I didn’t work at all, I would have to and I don’t like that thought). Blogging gives me some spending money and then I freelance to earn some more.
Today, I’m sharing the most epic brownies I’ve ever tasted! Rich and fudgy chocolate brownies with a layer of salted caramel in the middle.
Caramel in a sandwich of chocolate. It doesn’t get much better than that!
These are the same brownies I have been making for about 8 years. They have always got rave reviews from anyone who has eaten them. They have that gorgeous crisp top and then they are seriously the gooiest, fudgiest brownies I’ve ever had the pleasure of eating.
They have both cocoa powder and melted chocolate in which in my opinion, makes the best brownies.
I’ve tried brownies with just cocoa powder and I’ve yet to meet one that I like more than double chocolate brownies.
To make these brownies, I placed half of the brownie batter into a prepared pan, spooned the salted caramel on top, gently spread it over the brownies and then finished off with the rest of the brownie mixture.
Bake until crunchy on top and a few crumbs still come out attached to an inserted skewer and you’re good to go.
Decadent, rich, sweet and salty brownies that everyone will love!
Salted Caramel Brownies
- 1 stick (113g) unsalted butter
- 3.5 oz (100g) dark chocolate
- 1 cup (200g) light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (70g) plain/all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (25g) cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup (165g) Carnation caramel
- 1 1/2 tsp salt flakes
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F and spray an 8x8 inch square pan with cooking spray. Lay a long piece of grease proof paper (around 4 inches wide) across the pan, and repeat going the other way so you have overhang of grease proof on each side of the pan to act as "handles".
- Break the dark chocolate into small pieces and place into a heatproof bowl with the butter. Place in the microwave in 20 second increments, stirring between each one, until smooth and completely melted.
- Alternatively you can place the bowl over a pan of simmering water and stir until melted. Leave to one side.
- Place sugar, eggs and vanilla extract into a large bowl and whisk by hand until smooth and the mixture starts to froth slightly.
- Gradually pour in the melted chocolate mixture, whisking as you go until well combined.
- Add in the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder. Switch to a wooden spoon/spatula and gently stir the mixture until well combined and there are no lumps of flour.
- Place the caramel and salt flake into a small heat proof bowl and stir. Microwave for 10 seconds to loosen up.
- Pour half of the brownie batter into your prepared pan and spread into an even layer that covers the bottom of the pan.
- Spoon the salted caramel mixture on top of the brownies and very gently coax the caramel with the back of a spoon, to cover most of the brownies. Leave a 1/2 inch gap around the edge, but otherwise try and cover all the brownie batter.
- Spoon the remaining brownie batter over the caramel and again, gently spread to cover the caramel. Go to the edge with mixture, but you'll have to be careful so you don't mix everything together!
- Place in the oven for 23-28 minutes until the top is crisp and an inserted skewer into the centre comes out with a few crumbs of brownie. You'll need to be careful that you hit the brownie and not just the caramel. If the batter is done, you'll have a few crumbs, a gap where the caramel is liquid and then a few more crumbs where you hit the brownie.
- Leave to cool in the pan for 30 minutes, before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cool, slice into 9-12 bars and devour.
- Salted Caramel Brownies will keep in an airtight container, at room temperature for 5 days.
I link up at these great Link Parties!