This Healthier Banana Bread is a guilt free way to use up those ripe bananas! Easy to make and just as tasty as the normal version, this will become a new favourite!
Hiya everyone, hope you had a good weekend! Today I’m sharing this Healthier Banana Bread – as delicious as the regular one and guilt free!
Since it’s January, I wanted to work on a few healthier recipes for you. I have never really baked without the normal butter, sugar, flour etc. but I’m interested in learning about more ingredients you can use instead of those.
I also know that our waistlines will thank us! Because I am not someone who is going to give up cake!!
To make this Healthier Banana Bread, you don’t need any fancy equipment. I also tried to keep the ingredients to ones you can easily pick up in the supermarket. I used coconut oil and yoghurt in this recipe along with maple syrup to sweeten it.
You can also use honey if your prefer, instead of the maple syrup, I can’t as I’m allergive, but it would work the same.
I know I’m late to the party with coconut oil, but I am very much looking forward to using it some more in my baking.
Ripe bananas, whole wheat flour, cinnamon, vanilla, bicarbonate of soda and eggs are the only other things you need to make this Healthier Banana Bread!
You have to mash the banana up in a big bowl, add in the wet ingredients, whisk, then mix in the dry ingredients… that’s it! So simple. And the result? Soft, flavourful Banana Bread that would be perfect for breakfast, a snack, dessert…or just because you want a slice!
When I took this out of the oven, I was so eager to try a bit, I burnt my fingers!! But I was desperate to know if it tasted just as good as ones I’ve made in the past. And you know what? It does!
It’s moist, not overly sweet, the texture isn’t weird, you can taste the banana… it’s everything banana bread should be. Hearty and flavourful. I am 100% sure that this loaf will be gone in a few days because I know my husband will like it too! It’s still super soft the next day and great with butter on!
Let me know what you like to use coconut oil in, I’m definitely going to be experimenting more with it!
Healthier Banana Bread
- 1 1/2 cups (390g) ripe banana, this was 3 large bananas for me
- 1/2 cup (150ml) maple syrup, you can also use honey
- 1/2 cup (100g) coconut oil, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup (90g) low fat/full fat natural or Greek yoghurt, totally up to you, I used low fat natural
- 2 1/2 cups (350g) whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda/baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 160C/325F and spray a 2lb loaf tin with cooking spray. Place a strip of grease proof paper across the pan with enough overhang for you to lift the banana bread out.
- Break the bananas into a large bowl and then mash with a fork until it's as smooth as you can get it. It's not the end of the world if there are a few lumps.
- Add in the maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla extract, eggs and natural yoghurt and whisk until everything is well combined and smooth.
- Add in the flour, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon and salt and whisk just until the mixture is combined and there are no lumps of flour. Don't be tempted to over mix or beat the mixture, it will turn rubbery.
- Tip the mixture into your prepared pan and smooth into an even layer with a spatula/wooden spoon.
- Place in the oven for 50-60 minutes, until risen, golden and an inserted skewer into the centre comes out clean.
- Leave to cool for at least 30 minutes before you try and dig in! It tastes great warm from the oven or at room temperature. It would be best to leave it to cool entirely in the pan, before transferring to a cutting board to slice, but I could not resist having a slice straight from the oven!
- Healthier Banana Bread will keep in an airtight container, at room temperature, for a week. You can serve at room temperature, or reheat a slice in the microwave for 30-45 seconds.