This refreshingly sweet Lemon Iced Tea is so simple to make, super delicious and will keep you cool all Summer long!
Hi everyone, hope you had a good weekend. Unfortunately, it’s not been a happy few days here.
On Father’s Day morning, my mum text saying our cat, Smudge, was very ill. An hour later she had to be put to sleep. She has been part of my life since I was 11, more than half my life and I adored her.
She was the most loving cat ever and the whole family were besotted with her. She must have been at least 21 – we rescued her and they never knew exactly how old she was, just that she was probably 3-5.
My parents are devastated, I moved out 8 years ago, so went from spending every day with her, with her sleeping in my bed with me, to being 100 miles away which was hard. I still loved my cuddles whenever I visited and she’d beg me for treats which she’d eat out of my hand. It’s going to be so weird next time we go over not having her there. I can’t remember a time before her.
I’ve seen the term “pet of a life time” thrown around recently and I really believe it. When there’s that one pet that makes you never want another pet, I had it with our GSD, Poppy and now with our cat. No other cat could live up to her.
I cried pretty much all day Sunday, threw myself into work yesterday but randomly burst into tears and today I’m trying to work through it again. I hate that all of us have to go through “the firsts” again, the first Christmas, the first birthday… I found that super tough with Poppy.
Sleep tight Smudge, I’ll miss you forever.
Anyway, I know you guys have come here for Lemon Iced Tea though, so let’s talk about it.
I used to think I didn’t like Lemon Iced Tea, until I tried one from the Chinese supermarket and then I realised that it was Lipton Iced Tea I didn’t like!
Chinese lemon tea is delicious! If ever you find yourself in a supermarket and see lemon iced tea, try one! It’s sweeter and more lemony that Lipton.
However, there’s also the option of homemade Lemon Iced Tea. You can make it as sweet as you want and add as much lemon as you want. You can also brew the tea for as long as you want meaning, if you like strong black tea you can have it and if you like it weaker, you can have that too!
I feel like Homemade Lemon Iced Tea might be the best kept secret ever. WHY have I never made it before now?! It’s so easy to make and you can keep it in the fridge ready for whenever the craving for iced tea hits!
To make this tea, you boil some water, brew some tea, add in lemon juice and sugar and a tiny bit of bicarbonate of soda (to help with any bitterness from the tea) and that’s it.
When you’re ready to serve, chuck some ice cubes and lemon slices into a glass, pour a glass, sit back and enjoy!
Lemon Iced Tea
- 6 black tea bags
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup (60-120ml) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 – 1 cup (150g-200g) white sugar
- 3 cups (720ml) boiling water
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda/baking soda
- 3 cups (720ml) cold water
- Place tea bags, lemon juice and sugar into a large jug and pour over the boiling water. Stir until the sugar has dissolved and then leave to brew for 5-10 minutes. I brewed mine for 5 minutes. It depends how strong you want it.
- Add in the bicarbonate of soda and stir, this helps take away any bitterness from the tea.
- Pour in the cold water and stir until everything is combined.
- To serve: Place lemon slices and ice cubes into a glass and pour your iced tea over them.
- Lemon Iced Tea will keep in a pitcher/carafe covered in the fridge for a week.
- Some notes: I used 1/2 cup of lemon juice and 1 cup of sugar. I would advise adding the lesser amount first, then tasting before deciding whether you want to add more. It is totally down to personal taste.